02 April 2009

Behaviour, identity and hormones

How are your psychological states dependent on hormonal factors?


Why is it that many three-year-olds can communicate clearly and grammatically but many thirteen-year-olds and even twenty-three-year-olds struggle with language?

Are hormones the reason why adolescent persons plug themselves into recordings of music instead of into intelligent conversations?

One of the problems I have been finding, in researching this topic as a social scientist, is that most of the relevant literature is written in the language of biochemistry. Chemistry was not one of my better subjects at school, mainly because I associated it with mad professors, unpleasant smells and occasional explosions. I was quite good at biology, though.

Are hormones the main basis of your identity?

Here are some links I have found that may interest you:

The Society for Behavioral Neuroendocrinology

The British Society for Neuroendocrinology

No comments:

Post a Comment