20 January 2011

Happy and Normal Seclusion

You may be wondering why I am writing on this topic on my By Any Other Name blog rather than the Quieter Living one.  How do you label people who enjoy having time alone?  Do you sometimes need time alone yourself?


The words enjoy and need are important in relation to happy and normal seclusion.  Looking at this blog post may be more enjoyable, for example, if you are currently alone, rather than sitting around a table conversing with friends.

Where are you now, and why are you reading a blog post on the topic of happy and normal seclusion?

Although I enjoy time alone during daylight hours, especially as I have a great many writing projects to keep me busy over the next 18 months or so, I do not consider myself to be a recluse or a hermit.  Nor do I consider myself to be a loner, and certainly not lonely.


Here are some Wikipedia links you may find interesting:







Spending time alone to study, reflect, observe, analyse, ponder, evaluate and plan, can give our brains, and our relationships, a wonderful boost.  We can become better thinkers, better problem solvers, better entrepreneurs, and better friends.

When we are alone, we can more easily question assumptions, without the pressures to conform to the thinking of others.  We can examine our reasoning abilities, learn more about the rules of logic, and re-evaluate our long-held but somewhat biased beliefs.  

It is often a time to process the information we already have rather than to gather more and more information.  It can be restful as well as rejuvenating.


A sense of purpose

It is always important to keep the purpose of our seclusion in mind.  What are you attempting to achieve by choosing to spend time alone?  What are the social benefits that may become a product of your solitary thoughts?  Is there something you are attempting to understand?

Perhaps I find it easier to spend time alone because I am naturally more introverted than extroverted.  One of my most enjoyable experiences is to sit quietly with a history book.  You may think that to be a very unpleasant thing to do!

As I do not live alone, and I am fortunate to live with someone I enjoy being with, I am not lonely at all.  The hours I spend alone often pass very quickly when I am thinking, writing, reading, or doing the household chores. Enjoying that time is easy for me.

If you would be interested in experiencing some happy and normal seclusion more often than you do at present, what do you believe you would enjoy the most about it, and what do you hope it might achieve?


To assist your reflections further, here are some links to a few of my other relevant writings:








Now I need to rest again, quietly and alone.  Writing is not the only thing to do when enjoying solitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment