21 February 2011

Difficult Words Can Be Unhealthy

Would you be more likely to look after your health better if important words were clearly explained to you in a commonly understood language?



Some of the most difficult words to remember are those relating to health and illness.  The medical profession uses language in a very different way than I do.  The manufacturers of medical products also use language in ways I find strange.

Are there some medical terms we should all be required to know?


I have written about health in quite a few of my earlier blog posts, mostly in a cultural rather than a medical sense.  Here are some links to a few of them:


Are you a patient patient?

About your mind

How to be delightfully surprising

Cultural identity

Environment and genetics

Knowing your cohorts

Multiple identities and social media


In the list of my interests on my blogger profile, I have often included words that have a special medical meaning.  Other words I use have a special meaning in the social sciences.  But readers of blogs look at their screens and interpret words in a wide variety of ways, just as they interpret art - and even science - differently.






I write about health, illness, and language, in different ways on each of my blogs.  Have you noticed those differences?


Continual Journeys:


Many new beginnings
  
Successful journeys

The road to recovery


Quieter Living:

A global inner peace index

Pro-social living


Ancestors Within:

At the seaside - part one



How do you prefer to address health through language?  And how might improved communication create a healthier society?

No comments:

Post a Comment