11 March 2011

Your Creativity in Society

Have you ever wondered how to engage with people through your creativity, and perhaps even in your creativity?  



You may think of your creativity as the way you prefer to express yourself, and perhaps even make (or hope to make) a living through it, but have you thought about it from the perspective of other people?


How do you want people to 
engage with your creativity, 
and why?


Your creativity is probably an important part of your identity.  Whether you write a blog, or paint pictures, make music, put your digital photographs online, design software, juggle oranges, act, sew, cook, garden, build wishing wells or create wonderful business opportunities, the desire to share that creativity is part of your social and cultural identity.

But it is not really part of anyone else's social and cultural identity.  If others wish to engage with what you do, their reasons for doing so will be as an expression of their own social and cultural identities.

It is not something to feel personally upset about if people choose to focus their attention elsewhere.  And it is an aspect of community if they choose to make some sort of connection with your creativity - and perhaps even with you as a person.

How you engage with others may say something about whether you see yourself as part of a democratic community, or an autocratic one, or not part of a community at all.


Have you ever thought about 
the connection between 
creativity and community?  


Most of us are creative in one way or another, or even in several ways.  I do most of the creative things mentioned above, except juggle oranges, build wishing wells and design software.  What are your motives for being creative?

Do you just want to express yourself?  Do you want to extend that expression into the social realm?  Are you more interested in developing your creativity in the political realm or the economic one, rather than the social?

If you want to make quite large amounts of money from your creativity, or even to become famous (or infamous), what does that say about the way you engage with other people?  If you are already wealthy, or famous, what benefit are you providing to others?

All creative people who receive some form of praise for their work, and perhaps even an income, can engage with others in a wide variety of ways, as can most people, even those who do not consider themselves to be creative at all.

I write four blogs as "Via" as a way to express a few aspects of myself, and my creativity.  Although I do not juggle oranges, I do like to eat them, and I have tried growing them.  My husband likes to make orange and lemon marmalade, which I also like to eat.  We are creative with oranges in different ways.

People do not engage with "me" through my blogs, they engage with a few aspects of my creativity and identity.  They do not just engage with my writings but with the design and layout I have chosen for my blogs.  They engage with the links I provide, with the pictures I have selected to place here and there, and, especially (or at least hopefully), with the ideas I like to share.

Our "product" or "service" or "art", ie. our creativity, just happens to be something they connect with at a particular moment in time - as part of their own expression of creativity.

If you are looking for creative ways to engage with people, and even to build a community with those whose own creativity has a connection with your own, here is a link you may find interesting:




Of the billions of people in the world, we can each express our identities and chosen ways of being creative, and even innovative.  Useful, healthy, peaceful, imaginative innovation in social and cultural life is what usually catches my attention, and motivates me to engage with others - in community and as individuals.  Are you seeking the same?

No comments:

Post a Comment